A great hit at home, overloaded with nutrition deliciousness this dessert recipe is perfect to put a smile on your picky eater’s face right after dinner. And that too without any mom guilt.
Ragi is a perfect nutty and rich, healthy substitute for white flour. This wonderful native millet is rich in fibre and a great source of protein, iron and calcium. And it makes the perfect base for a moist, brown cake slice.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup ragi flour (finger millet flour)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup jaggery (grated)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. Grease an 8 inch cake pan and dust it with flour.
- In a bowl, sift both the flours, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda together.
- In a bowl, add grated jaggery and 1/4 cup of water and melt it. Don't bring it to boil. Filter the hot mixture and let it cool slightly.
- In another bowl, mix all the wet ingredients together - yogurt, oil, honey, vanilla extract, milk and melted jaggery.
- Add the dry ingredients gradually to this mixture and mix well until the cake batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the pan comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool, remove it from the cake pan and decorate as desired.
- Enjoy it with sprinkles, ganache, or a cream frosting. Enjoy being able to say yes to treats that are healthy when ejoyed in moderation.