What is the most common new year resolution that everyone makes? You guessed it -to lose weight and get in shape. There is a lot of information on the internet on how to lose weight. However, it can be hard to distinguish between what is accurate and authentic and what is false when it comes to a healthy weight loss. The internet is full of quick fixanswers which aren’t healthy or even true when it comes to weight loss. It becomes challenging to do the right things when the information you receive is half-baked. We are here to help you understand what is popular myth and what is scientific fact.Let’s dive in.
- Carbohydrates make you fat: Not all carbs make you fat. Carbohydrates are necessary. But the amount and type matter. To explain the concept, we need to understand the kind of carbs. There are two types mainly. Simple and complex. Complex carbs are good, whereas simple and refined carbs are something that you need to avoid while focussing on weight loss.
- Artificial sweeteners are healthy: To reduce the amount of sugar and calories, many health-conscious individual resorts to artificial sweeteners, thinking that sweeteners will offer them a sweet taste while reducing the number of total calories. However various studies have linked sweeteners to weight gain.
- Drinking a lot of water promotes weight loss: Drinking water has several other benefits on health. It is a zero-calorie drink. It affects the total calorie intake when replacing sugary drinks like juices, carbonated and caffeinated drinks. However, water itself does not have any weight loss properties.
- Eat less fat: Fats are an essential macronutrient. Our body needs fats for various functions. Just like carbs, the choice of fat is vital. Good sources of fat are oils, nuts, seeds, fish and avocado for instance. Avoid saturated and trans fats found in foods like butter, high-fat dairy, red meat, and many processed foods.
- I can eat anything if I exercise a lot: Some individuals believe that exercise balancesjunk food intake. The simple answer to lose weight is to balance the calories. However it’s not just the quantity but also the quality of your nutritional intake that matters. The idea is to include healthy food choices and avoid empty calories from sugar.
No doubt, losing weight is a challenging process and involves dedication and consistency. Today, we live in a world where a portion of junk food is much more readily available than a portion of healthy food. Food with no nutritional value is cheaper than nutritious food. We choose processed foods to save time and for convenience. However, it is worth remembering that there are no shortcuts and quick fixes to weight loss.
Eating a healthy balanced diet and exercising will get the desired results. Focus on eating home-cooked meals rather than relying on some fancy and exotic food. Eating local food is an advantage on availability and cost. Never compare your progress with anyone while losing weight since everyone has a different body type. Your weight loss depends upon various factors. Enjoy the process of getting healthier for yourself.